Locke Street Upgrades 2019 Interim Report
Representatives from the City of Hamilton, Union Gas and Alectra Utilities made a presentation to the Locke Street BIA to outline the planned upgrades to Locke Street in 2019 including new sewers, sidewalks and street paving. Prior to the construction in 2019, Union Gas and Alectra will update services on Locke Street.
Water mains to be installed North to South, and those near schools scheduled for summer.
Road construction commencing in 2019 will be carried out block by block or multiple blocks at a time – South to North –
schedule will be finalized on awarding of contract.
A Project Manager will be on site during all construction and there will be a protocol for contacting the Site Manager in
the event of an issue.
The work will affect within 50 meters of the side streets. The 1.5 km of steel water mains -1.6 meters deep to be
replaced with plastic (existing 60 year old pipes difficult to maintain). During the process sidewalk and road access will
be maintained. The construction company will use pits for lining works which is less intrusive and will not cause road
Design Features Include:
- Increased pedestrian areas
- 3.4 driving lane, 2.5 parking lane, 4.3 road width maintained at intersections
- Bump outs at radius and pedestrian crossings
- No designated bike lanes but shared 4.5 lanes North of Hunter
- Parking spots to be maintained and identified via bump outs -existing 100 parking spots, proposed 109
- 5 additional benches
- 8 new trees being considered
- Bus stops will have bump outs
- Entrance feature at Stanley and Jackson
- Relocation Sohie Bike stations, addition of 1 new location to existing 3 locations
- Street art reinstalled- 60 in total, 10 to 20 m apart -impressed coloured concrete in boulevard -AODA
treatment at all the radius and crossing
New concrete poles have been installed.
The old wooden poles will come down when everyone is energized, and Bell, Cogeco and Rogers will no longer be using
Union Gas work will start once Alectra’s work is complete.
Union Gas will provide schedule-20 weeks of work to commence March 2018.
Shut offs will be on private side and gas switch over will be complete within in an hour. The required new gas piping will
be hidden by screens for aesthetic purposes.